Projects

Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving Terrain Board Spectacular Day 3: Small Business Saturday

Luckily due to the rampant commercialization of the Thanksgiving weekend I have a ready made name for everyday. Today is Small Business Saturday and a great day to get out to your local game store of course any day is good day to go to a game store. Anyways back to the boards.

My toolkit for road making. 
I didn't quite get as far as I would of liked today but I did manage to put in one of the roads. I'm using the same basic method as I've used previously for my roads, basically laying down air hardening clay and using some home made stamps to press in the cobblestone pattern.

One set of roads done. The first half was done earlier in the day and is mostly dried. 

I'm not worrying too much about getting it perfect since as discussed in a long ago post, most of the road is going to be covered in dirt. It still ends up being a slow process, I think I might consider doing a resin mold to cast road sections for future projects. But for now I'm going to carry on with this.

It's pretty clear at this point that the boards aren't going to get done this weekend, or even particularly close. But I have managed to get some solid work done on them. Hopefully with whatever I can get done tomorrow it will mostly be downhill ( and visually more exciting) from there.


6 comments:

  1. That's a great idea for the roads Brian, this is a real labour of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like many of these projects it is taking on the aspects of one of the labors of Hercules, Lol! Thanks for following along.

      Delete
  2. The terrain is coming along nicely. Everything else you make comes out great, so I expect this will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm hoping they live up to expectations.

      Delete
  3. Looks already very good and nice to see how you go about things and how much effort you put into it. If you use air-drying clay, do you have problems with the clay curling/lifting during the drying process? If so, how do you prevent this from happening? What about cracking? I am mainly asking as I always have these problems when working with air-dry clay and the only thing that wokred is to glue it down when still soft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My method is the same as yours, I put down a layer of glue first then add the wet clay on top. It helps stop the curling. I think the more you work the clay beforehand the better you mix up the fibers in it and it helps with general cracking. For these I also used a mold that I cut out of some extra sprue to make sure each section was the same dimensions and I think it also helps compress the clay a little. But I still haven't figured out a way around the cracks that form when the clay shrinks as it dries. You can see them in my next post. For these I just patch them once it dries and move on.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...