Projects

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Crates and Such

Not much happening with painting which means my queue is really stacking up with the new All Quiet stuff being added to it. I have been doing some sculpting though.I've been using leftover putty from other projects to make some odds and ends. My first idea was to make some various crates, stowage, and other items to use as street dressing and for an eventual warehouse.


My first crate was a bit of a mess. I just slapped some putty on around a rough cube cut from some cured putty. It looks like the carpenter was having a really bad day or let his kid make it. I'll probably just stick it in the center of a pile of other stuff to disguise it.

Next up I decided to rethink my construction technique. This time I rolled the putty out to a uniform thickness and then sculpted detail on while still flat. Then I glued the parts together. Much better, so I made a second one as well.


For a future warehouse I'll need many more so I'm going to try to make a mold of these to duplicate them. I reinforced the inside of the crates with some putty and then at the last moment decided to make separate lids. This way I could have some open ones with goods inside them.

Three BEF infantry from All Quite inspect the new crates. Perhaps hoping for a selection of nice cheeses inside?

 Next step mold making!

4 comments:

  1. Clever use of leftover putty, I always forget to do anything with mine, but these look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. For the most part my leftovers end up as little blobs that eventually get tossed, but I've been trying to make something useful out of them recently.

      Delete
  2. I like it. Nice that you have made them with separate lids and good wood detail. And in 15mm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, so far my technique for 15 mm is mostly working in caricature and not worrying too much about it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...