Projects

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Victorian Gruntz

I've been pondering what system I would like to try to use with my Steamworks setting. I looked over a couple of options and I think I'm going to try the Gruntz system first. I had three criteria for choosing a system and it met all three.

First it had to let me build my own units. I'm using models from all over the place in creating my world and I need a system that would let me stat them up as I needed. Also it needed to cover two key types of units: mecha and giant monsters. After all this is what Steamworks is really all about. Gruntz hit all of these points.

Second, I wanted a system that is straight forward and also fairly cinematic. I haven't had a chance to play yet but from my skimming over the rules it looks like Gruntz will fit the bill here too.

Finally, I like games that have unit cards. Especially if they actually make the game better. Just a personal preference but I like being able to look down at a card and having all of the rules I need about it printed right there. Flipping through rulebooks has always been a pet peeve for me.

I also whipped up a card for the Ghug that I recently painted up. Nothing too fancy, and I'm not entirely sure I built it right with the rules but its a first try anyways. I think I'm going to get the Barracks unit builder to help simplify the process in the future and hopefully I'll be able to post up the cards for each one as I get them done.

2 comments:

  1. Good choice! Gruntz is essentially PP's system with all of the bullshit wonkiness filed off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what it looked like to me. Always liked their mechanics but never liked how the units and characters were set in stone.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...